Osteoporosis can cause someone to have a lot of pain. In many cases, it increases the risk of getting fractures, which can take months to heal. Most people who have this condition are in chronic pain. If your aging parent has osteoporosis, there are some tips to help them in managing and handling their pain.
Physical Treatment Methods for Osteoporosis Pain Management
There are many different physical treatment methods for helping someone to manage the pain associated with osteoporosis. Some of these options include the following:
- Heat (helps to relieve pain or stiffened muscles)
- Ice (helps to relieve nerve pain, swelling, and inflammation
- TENS unit (provide continuous relief of pain)
- Braces and supports (helps fractures to heal, supports weakened muscles, and strengthens muscles)
- Exercise (helps regain strength, relieve tension, increase flexibility, and strengthen muscles)
- Physical therapy (helps improve posture, strengthen muscles, and reduce pain)
- Acupressure and Acupuncture (helps to stimulate nerve endings and relieve pain)
- Massage therapy (helps to relieve pain, relax stiffened muscles, and ease discomfort)
- Relaxation training (helps to relieve pain and tension)
- Biofeedback (helps to relieve muscle tension, relax the body, and relieve pain)
- Visual imagery (helps to reduce pain)
- Distraction techniques (help to distract the mind from the pain)
- Hypnotherapy (helps to change the perception of pain)
- Therapy (helps to change the way one thinks about the pain they experience)
These are some of the physical methods of pain management when it comes to osteoporosis. If you are dealing with elderly care, make sure your aging parent is utilizing at least some of these techniques.
Medications Used with Osteoporosis Pain Management
There are also some medications that are used with osteoporosis pain management. However, it is important to talk to one’s doctor before taking any medications. Some of these medications include the following:
These are just some of the medications that can help to relieve pain and inflammation throughout the body. There are others the doctor may prescribe, as well.
Pain Clinics and Helping with Osteoporosis Pain
There are also pain clinics that can help with osteoporosis pain. If someone is suffering from chronic and severe pain, they may need to visit one of these clinics. The professionals at these clinics can help to manage and treat the pain.
Home Care Options for Osteoporosis Pain Management
If your aging parent is dealing with osteoporosis pain, they may also benefit from home care help. The home care workers can help them with daily activities, reminding them to exercise, getting them to appointments, and much more.
Does your aging parent have osteoporosis? If so, it is time to do something about it. There are a variety of treatment options that can help with the management of their pain. There are physical treatment methods, pain clinics, medication, home care options, and more. By taking advantage of some of these options, your aging parent can be in less pain.
If you or a family member are in need of hiring Home Care in Pembroke Pines, FL, call the caring professionals at Star Multi Care today at (954) 870-4770. Providing service in Boca Raton, West Palm Beach, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, Weston, Southwest Ranches, Pembroke Pines, Cooper City, Lighthouse Point, and Wilton Manors.
- How Can You Ensure Your Senior’s Home Is Usable and Safe? - August 12, 2020
- Challenges That Your Elderly Loved One Might Encounter - August 3, 2020
- It’s Time to Think About Your Life Balance as a Family Caregiver - July 28, 2020